In 2020 and 2021, opportunities for in-person work experience have slowed dramatically, preventing young people from exploring new career paths or connecting directly with employers.
Speakers for Schools aims to end inequalities in education by giving young people access to the same networks as the UK’s top paying schools through inspiring lectures and work placements. The association is currently working with over 700 leading employers to provide young people with invaluable career opportunities.
This fall, Speakers for Schools partnered with Reach, the country’s largest commercial publisher and the name behind some of the UK’s biggest newspaper brands. Students will have direct access to top journalistic talent and gain an understanding and introduction to the world of journalism.
Work experience will cover everything from storytelling, social media content to creating video content in titles such as The Mirror, The Express, OK !, Manchester Evening News, WalesOnline, Daily Record and more; and will take place over two days. The program is open to students aged 14 to 16, interested in storytelling; whether in writing, images, video or animation.
In addition to having an invaluable window into the world of journalism, students will expect to earn:
- The key criteria for telling a good story; attendees will join and watch a live editorial conference for one of our leading national newspapers as they discuss the day’s top news
- Different ways of telling stories; from social media content to magazine articles, data journalism and videos
- How to tell a human story and conduct a stellar interview; students will learn interview preparation and techniques before trying their skills on a special guest guest
The program will run from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Tuesday October 26 and Wednesday October 27, hosted online by Speakers for Schools.
The departments in which it is possible to participate are: Workshop, Word & Image, Press & Marketing, News, Media, Editorial, Digital Media & Publishing, Digital & Online, Creative, Content, Communications.
To apply for this opportunity, you will need to answer three questions:
- What are you passionate about and why?
- Write a journal headline about your week.
- What source of information do you trust the most and why?
Find all the details here and to submit your application.